Tuesday, April 06, 2010

HEIDI'S PICK SIX - Jill Myles

Jill Myles_HEIDI'S PICK SIX
Photo Courtesy of Andrea Pender Photography

HEIDI'S PICK SIX
1. Which of your characters is your favorite?
2. Tell me about your travels.

3. Coffee, tea, or milk?
Coffee. All coffee, all the time. I enjoy hot tea as well, but if I don't have coffee every morning, I have difficulty functioning like a normal human being.


4. What else can you do besides write?

5. Who are you reading right now?
I'm bouncing between a few books right now - re-reading the entire Kresley Cole Immortals After Dark series for the umpteenth time, reading Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins (which is adorably fun), and a few other things. I'm in a bit of a reading slump, so I'm flipping through a lot of different books and rarely settling on one.


6. Pop culture or academia?
7. What is the toughest scene you ever wrote?

8. Where do you find your inspirations to write?
I don't know if I'm 'inspired' anymore as much as I'm 'driven' to write. If I don't write for a few days, I get surly and difficult to live with. Writing relieves a lot of the stress that I put on myself. But I do find myself inspired by tidbits here and there. It could be a movie, and a character flashes on the screen for two minutes before flashing right off again, and my brain starts making up an entire story for them.


9. Food you could eat everyday.
10. Are you into sports or other physical activities?
11. What kind of music speaks to you?

12. Do you outline your stories or do they just take you along for the ride?
It depends on the story. If the story starts out with an amazing opening scene, it's easy for me to just sit down and start writing like a mad-woman, and figure out the characters through the story. With contracted projects, however, it feels like the process is backward. I know the characters I need to write about...now I just need to figure out a story. It's hard for me to reverse like that, and lately I've had a lot of false starts.


13. Celebrity crush.

14. Who are the biggest influences on your work?
Tough one. There are so many authors I like that I'd love to emulate and be known as the 'cheap version' of so-and-so. Unfortunately, I think most of my influences hit me at a teenage level, and that was the time that I was reading Anne McCaffrey, Piers Anthony, and Zebra Romances by the truckload. Those things right there probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know about my books.


15. Do you still watch cartoons?
I love South Park and the Adult Swim stuff. Recently enjoying Archer and Ugly Americans - do those count? They're no Bugs Bunny, but they're pretty fun in their odd way.


Jill Myles is the author of Gentlemen Prefer Succubi, the first novel featuring sexy succubus Jackie Brighton, her supernatural sidekicks, and a few all-too-tempting villains. Jill lives in Texas with her family and can’t write a bio, so she’s using the official Pocket Books one.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating, Jill!

    Wishing you continued success,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete