Tuesday, February 01, 2011

HEIDI'S PICK SIX: Vincent Zandri

HEIDI'S PICK SIX

Photobucket
Vincent Zandri

1. Which of your characters is your favorite?
Richard “Dick” Moonlight, of my Moonlight series (Moonlight Falls). He survived his own suicide attempt, and now, with a piece of .22 caliber hollow-point lodged up against his cerebral cortex, he often has trouble making the correct decisions and on occasion he loses his memory. But more importantly, that little piece of bullet could shift and he could fall into stroke, coma, or just simply drop dead at any time. Now as a private detective, he often finds himself going after the absolute truth behind a case, even if it means breaking the law to find it. He’s also unlucky in love and a total train-wreck when it comes to relationships. The fruit in this case doesn’t fall far from the author’s tree.


2. Tell me about your travels.
I spend a good part of the year in Florence, Italy. Sometimes I’m there strictly as a fiction writer, but more often than not, I’ll be there on assignment for RT (Russia Today TV) or some other global publication I write for. I’ve been on assignment recently in Benin, West Africa, Moscow, Florence, and other places. In the past I’ve worked in Turkey, Spain, London, Paris, Athens, Beijing, Shanghai, and, well, I’m forgetting some of the places. I’m heading to Germany next month and driving back down into Italy. If I’m not traveling I feel fat and useless. Like a suburbanite couch potato. BTW: I never sit down to watch the television.


3. Coffee, tea, or milk?
You gotta ask? Coffee….Lot’s of it!


4. What else can you do besides write?

5. Who are you reading right now?
Charlie Huston, the best noir writer in the world, and a series of noir novels taking place in pre-war Germany, by Phillip Kerr called Berlin Noir.


6. Pop culture or academia?

7. What is the toughest scene you ever wrote?
Well, this isn’t fiction. But I wrote an article a couple of years ago called "Breakdown," which got syndicated pretty widely. It’s about my oldest son’s battle with severe and recurring depression. He’d had a couple of back to back nervous breakdowns, and describing carrying him from the garage floor where he’d collapsed from nervous exhaustion to a couch in the living room of my home was almost more than I could bear. But for my own sanity, I had to write about it.


8. Where do you find your inspirations to write?
9. Food you could eat everyday.
10. Are you into sports or other physical activities?

11. What kind of music speaks to you?
Old punk rock, The Beatles, Ralph Vaughan Williams, The Clash, XTC, Johnny Cash, Social Distortion, The Blisterz…Ok, I’m cheating. I play drums for The Blisterz.


12. Do you outline your stories or do they just take you along for the ride?

13. Celebrity crush.
Heidi Ruby Miller ;)


14. Who are the biggest influences on your work?
15. Do you still watch cartoons?

Vincent Zandri is the author of the bestselling novels The Remains, The Innocent, Godchild, and Moonlight Falls.

Photobucket

See a book trailer for The Innocent on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9lMLVA1ons

He is also a freelance photojournalist and travel writer. His official website is www.vincentzandri.com and he blogs at http://vincentzandri.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

  1. Great questions. I love how you left the questions he skipped. Now we can see the one he's avoided. Favorite celebrity crush...lol. So Vince.

    Bri

    ReplyDelete