Sunday, April 17, 2011

HEIDI'S PICK SIX: William O'Brien

HEIDI'S PICK SIX

Peter: A Darkened Fairytale

1. Which of your characters is your favorite?
I am fond of all the characters in some way, even the evil ones. If I was forced to choose… hmmm… the elf ‘Slip’ – she is sweet!


2. Tell me about your travels.
My travels are generally through my own mind and into other dimensions. I love anywhere remote, quiet and rural.


3. Coffee, tea, or milk?
Coffee – black, no sugar.


4. What else can you do besides write?
I have a strong scientific background, with a BSc (hons) in Geosciences, a PGCert in Occupational Health and Fitness, and an MSc in Science Communication.


5. Who are you reading right now?
Ernest Hemingway - A Moveable Feast.


6. Pop culture or academia?
Academia.


7. What is the toughest scene you ever wrote?
Peter: A Darkened Fairytale CH XIV – 402 – The middle to end sections.


8. Where do you find your inspirations to write?
To completely disassociate and wander – up into the ether!


9. Food you could eat everyday.
Cheesecake


10. Are you into sports or other physical activities?
Used to be a fitness addict – although, I have calmed down considerably. I sometimes go jogging.


11. What kind of music speaks to you?
Most kinds of music – depends on my mood. Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata springs to mind.


12. Do you outline your stories or do they just take you along for the ride?
I tend to have to have some sort of outline (must be the scientist in me) but when the pen starts scrawling the framework can go anywhere.


13. Celebrity crush.
Today… Eva Green


14. Who are the biggest influences on your work?
Lewis Carroll and Oscar Wilde


15. Do you still watch cartoons?
Sometimes – they make me giggle!


Living in a small village in Lancashire, England, William O'Brien has written his first book, Peter. In the 1990s, he had twenty-one articles published, both nationally and internationally. After gaining an honours degree in Geosciences, doing post-graduate study in Occupational Health and Fitness, and earning a masters degree in Science Communication, he developed an interest for simple communication. A passion for writing again emerged, and combining various interests in fine art, museum exhibition display, biology, geology, poetry, and the mystical led to the story of Peter: A Darkened Fairytale. William retains a childlike vision of the world, which is conveyed throughout the book.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your answers, William!

    Best,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Concise and interesting interview, Heidi!
    Thanks!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lesley. I owe it all to William! ;)

    ReplyDelete