Friday, May 27, 2011

PATHS TO PUBLICATION: Randall Silvis

Paths to Publication
As part of the virtual book tour for Many Genres, One Craft and Armchair BEA 2011, this week kicks off my MGOC author interview series for the next month and a half! This week we'll hear from David Morrell, Jason Jack Miller, Tess Gerritsen, Susan Mallery, and Randall Silvis.

And, now, Randall Silvis:


I lived in the woods and wrote my ass off for ten years and collected nothing but rejection slips. Then suddenly one summer, four stories accepted and an invitation to the MacDowell Colony and a literature fellowship grant from the National Endowment for the Arts and a couple of playwriting prizes. Next year the Drue Heinz Literature Prize. Meantime I kept writing my ass off and eventually had ten more books published. I'm still writing my ass off and still trying to write the best book I've ever written and still wondering why nobody loves me enough to hit me upside the head with a shovel and tell me, "Enough already!"

-Randall Silvis

Randall is a contributor to Many Genres, One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction, a writing guide edited by Michael A. Arnzen and Heidi Ruby Miller and based on the Seton Hill University Writing Popular Fiction graduate program.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Randall, for the frank, but encouraging advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perseverance pays off, aided by dedication to an idea of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right you are, Julius!

    Thanks for stopping by.

    -H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the excerpt of Ambasadora, it sounds like a combination of Brave New World, THX-1138, and The Overton Window.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Julius. :)

    Your excerpt made me wish you had more posted! Intriguing and dark--just the way I like it.

    Can't wait to see what title you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! That's what I was going for. I'll be posting more excerpts soon. As for the title, I'm still in a bit of a mire.

    ReplyDelete