Monday, May 30, 2011

PATHS TO PUBLICATION: Victoria Thompson

Paths to Publication
As part of the virtual book tour for Many Genres, One Craft, I have more contributor interviews this week: Victoria Thompson, Albert Wendland, Michael Bracken, David Shifren, and Venessa Giunta.

Now, find out how Victoria Thompson got published.

I wrote my first novel without really intending to get it published. I just had this story in my head and couldn’t forget it. I wrote it down so my head wouldn’t explode. When it was finished, I started thinking I should try to get it published, so I sent it out to five publishers who published Westerns, thinking it was a Western. By the time I’d been rejected by all five of them, I had realized it was really an historical romance set in the Old West. I sent it to an agent who didn’t want to represent me but who suggested I send it to Zebra Books, because they specialized in first time authors and maybe they could give me some tips. The editor at Zebra liked the book, and her tips were to make it 200 pages longer and put in more sex. I did that, and they bought it. This was my first book, Texas Treasure.

-Victoria Thompson

Victoria is a contributor to Many Genres, One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction, a writing guide edited by Michael A. Arnzen and Heidi Ruby Miller and based on the Seton Hill University Writing Popular Fiction graduate program.

4 comments:

  1. Victoria:

    You have one of those dream stories where the first book you ever wrote catches the eye of a publisher--what a way to start your career!

    Thank you for stopping by,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's how all writers begin: compelled to tell a story, and then, over time refine it to be told in book form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about author's journeys to get published. It provides the advice I need to keep in the back of my head when I make it to that point.

    What I need to do is move beyond the writing part to the revision/edit stage, so I can start the query process. My goal is to have two short stories ready by the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julius: Yes, I am always compelled to write my stories, too.

    Laura: Your style is wonderful so get those queries out there!

    ReplyDelete