Monday, July 25, 2011

HEIDI'S PICK SIX: Meg Mims

HEIDI'S PICK SIX


Meg Mims


1. Which of your characters is your favorite?

2. Tell me about your travels.
I am pretty much a homebody, but have traveled many times to Mackinac Island, Michigan (nearly every year) and once to England before my daughter was born. So when my now 24-year-old was slated to attend a conference in Vienna, Austria, I jumped at the chance to tag along. We had a wonderful time, exploring the city, seeing the sights, touring Salzburg (no, we did not take the Sound of Music cheesy tour, lol) and eating sachertorte! We loved taking the Underground, loved Stephensplatz, loved shopping and eating in outdoor cafes. I found the architecture and history just as fascinating as England's castles and manor houses.


3. Coffee, tea, or milk?
Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice in the morning--my huge mug--and the decaf version at night. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.


4. What else can you do besides write?

5. Who are you reading right now?
Dana Marton's Guardian Agent, Lee Allen Howard's The Sixth Seed and J. Gunnar Grey's Deal with the Devil Part 2. I like to mix it up, although once I get halfway into one, I tend to finish that and switch to the others. But I like reading more than one book at a time. Just like blogging, writing and social networking every day.


6. Pop culture or academia?
7. What is the toughest scene you ever wrote?
8. Where do you find your inspirations to write?
9. Food you could eat everyday.
10. Are you into sports or other physical activities?

11. What kind of music speaks to you?
Classical - Tchaikovsky in particular, hands down. Love Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Debussy, plus Copeland, Gershwin and a host of other composers. I love soundtracks -- Howard Shore, John WIlliams and others as well.


12. Do you outline your stories or do they just take you along for the ride?

13. Celebrity crush.
Oh man--it's a tie between Pierce Brosnan (Remington Steele days) and Viggo Mortenson (LOTR, Hidalgo)...such talented men. I'd love to have dinner and just talk about acting, writing, painting.


14. Who are the biggest influences on your work?

15. Do you still watch cartoons?
I love Peanuts cartoons--all the holiday specials--such nostalgia. Love Rocky & Bullwinkle, Fractured Fairy Tales, all those classic Bugs Bunny 'toons, Wiley Cyote and Roadrunner, you name it. And I love comic books--the collections of comics from the great panels, such as Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes, Lynn Johnston's For Better or Worse, Borgman and Scott's Zits, Greg Evans' Luann, and of course Charles Schultz' Peanuts. I'm a kid at heart, I guess, but also love the fabulous quality of
these artists' work.


Meg Mims may have been born in the wrong century. Her love of historical fiction started early, with visits to Michigan’s Greenfield Village and any museum at hand. She’s published articles on her blog and in magazines about the transcontinental railroad, lighthouse keepers, a 1909 dance pavilion and holiday traditions over the past few centuries. Meg is also a watercolor and acrylic artist and photographer. From a young age, she had a taste for classics such as Jane Eyre and Gone With The Wind, books by A. C. Doyle and Agatha Christie, along with J.R.R. Tolkien and Ursula LeGuin. Now Meg devours historical, cozy and PI mysteries. Her award-winning fiction always has a dead body or two, plus an independent-minded heroine and a sense of justice being served in the end. She lives with her husband, a drooling black cat and a make-my-day Maltese-Poodle, and enjoys her Sweet Pea whenever she’s back home. Watch her book trailer for her new novel
Double Crossing at YouTube: http://youtu.be/2mDe17A5aF8

7 comments:

  1. Like you, Meg, I'm very diverse in my reading interests. Sometimes that spills over into my writing as well.

    Thank you for stopping by and congratulations on your debut of DOUBLE CROSSING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having me, Heidi! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview Meg. Congrats on your release! Double Crossing sounds wonderful. Put on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always fascinating to find out what happens behind the scenes. This candid look into Meg's life is another of those little pleasures. I read the same way - multiple books at a time (I also write that way). And I have a whole collection of soundtrack music on CD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knew we were twins - or triplets, with Cheryl! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by, Kay and Stephy!

    ReplyDelete