Wednesday, February 29, 2012

HEIDI'S PICK SIX: Pauline Baird Jones

BROADLY SPEAKING AUTHORS FOR FEBRUARY 2012

I hosted the February Broadly Speaking for Broad Universe this year and had the pleasure to discuss one of my favorite topics, Romance in Speculative Fiction, with three wonderful writers: Brenda Cooper, Alexa Grave, and Pauline Baird Jones. You'll get to meet all of them this week. Today Pauline Baird Jones picked six.


Click here to listen to the podcast or go to:
http://broadlyspeaking.posterous.com/february-2012-romance


HEIDI'S PICK SIX


Pauline Baird Jones


1. Which of your characters is your favorite?
I was at Twisted Gears last weekend and everyone kept asking me which was my favorite book. I told them, "That's like asking me to pick which kid is my favorite." LOL! But if you promise not to tell, I'd have to say Doc from GIRL GONE NOVA is probably my favorite. She really surprised me as she started to emerge from the fog. I liked her, then I didn't like her, then I loved her. The other characters describe her as a bit creepy and she is, but she's also fun and funny and she can kick serious tush.


2. Tell me about your travels.
3. Coffee, tea, or milk?
4. What else can you do besides write?
5. Who are you reading right now?
6. Pop culture or academia?
7. What is the toughest scene you ever wrote?

8. Where do you find your inspirations to write?
My inspirations often come from desperations. There are days when I pull it out of my tush. And yeah, its kind of painful. And then there are the days where it flows from my playlist (eclectic) or from a photograph or the turn of a head or a dream. I guess the good news is, it still comes, no matter where I find it.


9. Food you could eat everyday.
Chocolate. Actually, I probably do eat it every day. Wash it down with Diet Dr. Pepper. And donuts. I don't eat donuts every day, even though I could, because I'd have to go out and get them and I'm a hermit. (grin)


10. Are you into sports or other physical activities?
11. What kind of music speaks to you?

12. Do you outline your stories or do they just take you along for the ride?
I commit random acts of writing and that includes plotting. I literally make it up as I go along. It is in the editing where I take back control. I used to not like it, but now editing is my friend.


13. Celebrity crush.

14. Who are the biggest influences on your work?
Probably Mary Stewart, Alastair Maclean and Georgette Heyer. And chocolate and Diet Dr. Pepper. I learned about pacing, plotting and characters from all three of them. There are more, but I give these three the most credit.


15. Do you still watch cartoons?
Phineas and Ferb and The Road Runner. Hunted down The Jetsons for an upcoming blog post and had to laugh at how forward thinking NOT it was. They set it in the future, but the people were a lot like the people then. A LOT. LOL!


Pauline Baird Jones reads across genres, so it shouldn’t have surprised when her writing went cross genre. Thankfully she does not need to understand cross genre-ing to do it, though she does concede it is a bit whacky for a confirmed hermit to write about crossing space and time.

She began her writing career penning romantic suspense (because fictional murder doesn’t get you strip searched) but she had a secret longing to ramp up the spills, chills and daring do.

Pauline planned to continue writing romantic suspense and humorous mystery, committing fictional mayhem on her characters, but a funny thing happened on the way to finishing Out of Time. This time travel to World War II was suspenseful, but it also had lots of action and high adventure. And she liked it. And she got to keep committing fictional mayhem on her characters. Win-win.

She wrote The Key, sure it was an action and adventure romance—and it was—but someone pointed out it was also science fiction romance. Wait a minute. Could it be that she’d been mixing fiction into her science since high school? (Oops, sorry science teachers!) Hmm, why not go where she hasn’t gone before? So she did.

The Key was the first in her Project Enterprise series, which will conclude with #6, Kicking Ashe.

To find out more about her and her books please stop by: http://www.paulinebjones.com

To buy her books, visit: http://www.amazon.com/Pauline-Baird-Jones/e/B000APFS0M




Also read:
PATHS TO PUBLICATION: Brenda Cooper
SECRET WRITERS: Alexa Grave

4 comments:

  1. Chocolate...I eat it every day, too!

    Thanks for your insights during the podcast, Pauline, and thank you for picking six!!

    :) Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU for having me! I enjoyed the chat and the interview. :-D (Must got eat chocolate now....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice six, Pauline! I love chocolate too-- hmm, could be a writer thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaye, I would definitely say chocolate is a writer thing. Sometimes my husband and I have to make a chocolate run during a really long writing session. ;)

    Thank you for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete