Thursday, March 15, 2012

HEIDI'S PICK SIX: Tate Hallaway

HEIDI'S PICK SIX


Tate Hallaway


1. Which of your characters is your favorite?
2. Tell me about your travels.

3. Coffee, tea, or milk?
Does anyone actually answer milk? For me, it’s coffee all the way, ever since I was a tween. I used to get up early, before anyone else in the house, and start the coffee. I’d listen to music, read, take a walk, or daydream before getting ready to go to school.


4. What else can you do besides write?
I can draw. In fact, when I was in college no one believed I WASN’T a Fine Arts major. I dropped drawing for a long time because I hit a plateau. I can draw something I can see respectably well, which means that, for me, who loves to draw superheroes and Anime characters, I can draw from someone else’s drawing. I haven’t been able to break past that point very well… so I stopped. I picked the pencil up again recently.


5. Who are you reading right now?
6. Pop culture or academia?

7. What is the toughest scene you ever wrote?
Every sex scene… I still sometimes have to close my eyes and look away from embarrassment.


8. Where do you find your inspirations to write?
9. Food you could eat everyday.

10. Are you into sports or other physical activities?
Martial arts. I currently hold a yellow belt (2nd level) in a mixed Korean Martial Art called Kuk Sool Wan. My son and I participate together and we have a lot of fun. I like the yelling, mostly, and the games. I’m also taking a hula hooping class right now…which is actually kind of tough. Hula hooping is HARD.


11. What kind of music speaks to you?
12. Do you outline your stories or do they just take you along for the ride?
13. Celebrity crush.
14. Who are the biggest influences on your work?

15. Do you still watch cartoons?
Do you count Anime? If so, yes, definitely, and I’m not even embarrassed by it. I’m currently watching BLEACH, which causes a lot of people roll their eyes when they hear I’m into it. It’s a show very much targeted to teenage boys. There’s a lot of crude humor (farts and boobs) and over-the-top antics/broad physical humor, but, what I really like about it is the awesome swordplay and the themes of honor and justice. These are two really powerful concepts, and I find myself captivated by how they’re dealt with here and in FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST, another Anime I’ve been watching. Both BLEACH and FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST deal a lot with death/the afterlife and consequences of messing with either. Surprisingly heady stuff.


Tate Hallaway leads a double-life. By day, she’s a mild-mannered, award winning science fiction author, Lyda Morehouse. At night, she dons a skin-tight cat suit and prowls the night as Tate Hallaway, best selling romance author. Tate’s books include the adult paranormal Garnet Lacey series, the YA Vampire Princess of St. Paul series, and a new adult series that begins with Precinct 13 (forthcoming in August 2012). You can read about Lyda (and check out her art) at http://lyda222.livejournal.com. Tate blogs at http://www.tatehallaway.blogspot.com and both contribute to the Wyrdsmith’s group blog http://wyrdsmiths.blogspot.com. Tate lives in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Lyda’s whereabouts are currently unknown….


DESCRIPTION OF Almost Everything
The Lambright family's eldest daughter, Abby, runs her own sewing shop. There, she mends the town's clothes and their torn relationships. But the town maidel has sworn off any suitors of her own because of her unrequited love for James Graber, who is about to marry her younger sister, Zanna...

On the wedding day, Zanna is nowhere to be found, breaking James' heart. Zanna has brought shame to her family, but there's more in store for them when they discover how far she has fallen. Long-buried secrets come to light, and they test the bonds of the Cedar Creek community. Abby is at the center of it all, trying to maintain everyone's happiness. But will she ever find her own?

1 comment:

  1. You are spot on about FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST being heady. When my husband and I first started to watch the series, we were surprised at how deep and dark it got. Love it!

    Thanks for stopping by and picking six!

    :) Heidi

    ReplyDelete