Tuesday, May 01, 2012

HEIDI'S PICK SIX: Pavarti K. Tyler

HEIDI'S PICK SIX



Pavarti K Tyler


1. Which of your characters is your favorite?
Darya Yilmaz in Shadow is my favorite character. She's a complicated character full of ambition and strength, yet unable to reach her potential because of the culture she was born into. It's not that no one can, but the specific things Darya wants she simply can't have and that ambition and disappointment shape her personality. I think Darya is a character who will challenge readers and make them look at how they would function in her situation.


2. Tell me about your travels.
I love to travel. I have been everywhere from California to Morocco. From Costa Rica to Denmark. Visiting new places and cultures is one of my favorite things to do. Oh that I had the money to away from home whenever I wanted to! One thing I always made sure to do was learn how to say "Please", "Thank You" and "I'm sorry" in the language of everywhere I visited. You'd be surprised how far you can get on just that.


3. Coffee, tea, or milk?

4. What else can you do besides write?
I'm a tax accountant :) I know, exciting right?


5. Who are you reading right now?
I just finished Fire Baptised by Indie Author Kenya Wright. Go buy this book NOW. It's the best book I've read in a long time and it's a huge credit to all Indie Authors to have something this great out there.


6. Pop culture or academia?
7. What is the toughest scene you ever wrote?
8. Where do you find your inspirations to write?
9. Food you could eat everyday.
10. Are you into sports or other physical activities?

11. What kind of music speaks to you?
I love music. I love anything that can convey emotion. Theatre, books, movies, music. The wonderful thing about music is it can go with you in the car, in the shower, even to work. I've always been a PJ Harvey Girl. I adore how she manages to reinvent her message and musical style with every album. From Crazy to Blusey to Punk to Indie, she's always surprising me.


12. Do you outline your stories or do they just take you along for the ride?

13. Celebrity crush.
I have an unreasonable affection for William Shatner. It's not a crush per se, but I would give a toe to be able to just grab a beer with Bill.


14. Who are the biggest influences on your work?
15. Do you still watch cartoons?

Pavarti K Tyler is an artist, wife, mother and number cruncher. She graduated Smith College in 1999 with a degree in Theatre. After graduation, she moved to New York, where she worked as a Dramaturge, Assistant Director and Production Manager on productions both on and off Broadway.

Later, Pavarti went to work in the finance industry as a freelance accountant for several international law firms. She now operates her own accounting firm in the Washington DC area, where she lives with her husband, two daughters and two terrible dogs. When not preparing taxes, she is busy penning her next novel.

Throughout history, literature and the art of story-telling have influenced politics, religion and culture. The power of the epic tale is universal. Why is it that those who never read The Iliad know Helen of Troy? Her story, Homer’s story, transcends the written word and has become a part of our human lexicon. The power of the written word is undeniable and Pavarti is honored to be part of the next wave of literary revolution.


GIVEAWAY:


Be entered to win an ebook of Pavarti's fantasy romance, Two Moons of Sera: Volumes 1 & 2 by commenting on this post. Winner will be drawn randomly on May 15th.




Find Pavarti online at these sites:
WEBSITE - Pavarti K. Tyler - http://www.fightingmonkeypress.com

WEBSITE - Shadow on the Wall blog tour - http://shadow-on-the-wall-blog-tour.blogspot.com


- http://shadow-on-the-wall-blog-tour.blogspot.com


- Pavarti K. Tyler - https://www.facebook.com/#%21/FMPress


- Tribute Books Blog Tours - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tribute-Books-Blog-Tours/242431245775186


- Pavarti K. Tyler - http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4741652.Pavarti_K_Tyler


- Shadow on the Wall - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12372363-shadow-on-the-wall


- https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/100082780497621882892/114980650070862281955/posts


- @PavartiKTyler - http://twitter.com/PavartiKTyler


DESCRIPTION FOR Shadow on the Wall:
Recai Osman: Muslim, philosopher, billionaire and Superhero?

Controversial and daring, Shadow on the Wall details the transformation of Recai Osman from complicated man to Superhero. Forced to witness the cruelty of the Morality Police in his home city of Elih, Turkey, Recai is called upon by the power of the desert to be the vehicle of change. Does he have the strength to answer Allah's call or will his dark past and self doubt stand in his way?

Pulling on his faith in Allah, the friendship of a Jewish father-figure and a deeply held belief that his people deserve better, Recai Osman must become The SandStorm.

In the tradition of books by Margaret Atwood and Salman Rushdie, Shadow on the Wall tackles issues of religion, gender, corruption and the basic human condition. Beautiful and challenging, this is not a book to miss.

Paperback
Price: $11.95
Pages: 248
ISBN: 9780983876908
Publisher: Fighting Monkey Press
Release: May 1, 2012


- http://www.amazon.com/dp/0983876908?tag=tributebooks-20

8 comments:

  1. Pavarti, I'm a huge aficionado of travel and languages, too. It stretches the mind and my imagination--great for writers!

    Thank you for picking six and offering the great giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, I'm a loss when it comes to languages. I love them, the idea of another way of speaking, but I have a hearing problem and can't for the life of me learn them. I tried, through many many frustrated French instructors, but alas, it wasn't meant to be :)

    Thanks so much for hosting me today. It was lovely to meet you! I hope your readers enjoy Shadow on the Wall.

    Pav

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, thanks again for hosting Pavarti today. William Shatner! I remember watching the old Star Trek episodes on PBS when I was a kid :)

    Good luck to all who enter the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun interview. The book sounds good.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of the name Darya before. Did you make it up?
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Pavarti! I love languages and have studied two of them in addition to my own. I also get the attraction to William Schatner - He would be great to have a beer with! Thanks for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara Elizabeth. Darya is a real name. It's Arabic. It means "nugget of wisdom; maintains possessions well". If you read the book you'll see why this fits so exceptionally well.

    It's also a derivation of the male name Dayar which means "Ready". Again, if you know the book, you'd see how important that fact is :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trisha - if Bill ever calls me I'll let you know :)

    ReplyDelete