Wednesday, November 21, 2012

PATHS TO PUBLICATION: Paul R. Hewlett

PATHS TO PUBLICATION

PhotobucketMy name is Paul R. Hewlett and I am a self-published author. There, I said it. I used to feel like I was in a support group when I said that, but now I feel good about it. I piled up countless rejection letters on my path to publication, that much is true. In many cases they were warranted.

At some point after I tripped over a misplaced pile of rejection and query letters, I decided to investigate self-publishing. After countless hours of research, I determined it to be a viable option. There was so much to learn, where should I start? Thankfully, I stumbled upon Melissa Foster's WLC web site. Melissa is very successful author that is well known for her kindness and giving back. It was there that I found a template of how to begin.

From there I set out to learn how to build my brand, create a social media presence, and connect with my target audience. It has been a non-stop roller coaster of trial and error, start and stop, you name it ever since. The interesting thing is as I have gotten to know more and more authors, some self-published, some traditionally published, I have learned one thing for sure. Unless you are a top seller, you're responsible for most of the marketing and promotion on your own.

The whole time I have worked hard to continue to improve my craft and improve as a writer. I am a children's book author and Lionel's Christmas Adventure: Lionel Learns the True Meaning of Christmas is my third book. I have talked to many authors that have left  traditional publishing houses to go the self-publishing route. I, for one, cannot say if I would do that since I have never been traditionally published. I would like to have the opportunity to decide someday, so I keep moving forward because I love to write.

My path to publication has been very trying, enjoyable, and rewarding. It has also taught me three undeniable truths that apply to everyone, particularly self-published authors. First, have a great story. Second, make sure you have a professional cover. Last, but not least, have your book professionally edited. These are things that traditionally published authors have or they wouldn't be published. As a self-published author, it is up to you to make sure you do too.

Paul R. Hewlett
November 2012


DESCRIPTION FOR Lionel's Christmas Adventure:
Have you ever wanted something you couldn’t have? Lionel desperately wants a new sled and he will do almost anything to get it. This fun Christmas story follows Lionel from Larrystown to the North Pole. Filled with great Christmas imagery, this book is perfect for young readers and school or family story time. This holiday season, be careful what you wish for, you never know what might happen!

To promote Lionel's Christmas Adventure Paul will be on a blog tour beginning 13 November- 10 December. For a full list of dates click here.

And buy it:


- http://astore.amazon.com/shaha-20/detail/B00A5SX0IQ

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by on your blog tour, Paul, and for sharing your path to publication!

    :) Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Heidi! Thanks so much for having me. I love the segment on your blog & am quite honored to be in it now:) Have a great holiday!

    Paul R. Hewlett

    ReplyDelete