Thursday, November 01, 2012

PATHS TO PUBLICATION: T. K. Toppin

PATHS TO PUBLICATION


My writing journey (after many half-hearted attempts) began early in 2008. To say I was a complete novice to the entire idea of writing, and the literary world, was an understatement. I just wrote what came out of my head.

Once I’d finished my very first book (the hideously rough first draft of The Lancaster Rule, which went by the plain-jane name of Tempus Fugit and Time Flies), I went about researching into how to get published. Of course, being a novice, I had no idea how to go about this, let alone write a snappy, eye-catching query letter. I learned through trial and error, and as the pile-up of rejection emails started cluttering my inbox, began fine-tuning queries, blurbs, and synopses and hoped I had a working formula.

You can imagine my surprise, after months and months, that my last few resigned attempts before deciding to call it quits, Champagne Book Group replied with a piqued interest. After recovering from my shock that they actually, really, and then definitely, wanted to publish my work, I realized just how fortunate I had been. How often does that happen, right?

Then began my real journey and my immersion into writing. It was then I learned how to go about writing, the process of it—of what to do and what not to do. I had so much to learn, and I’m still learning. Honing my craft, whittling the words, and shaping my style.

To say I’ve been lucky is yet another understatement. I have been truly fortunate. Since pushing out the last book in the Lancaster Trilogy, The Eternal Knot, I was approached by Ring of Fire Publishing, a new indie group, to submit a short story into an anthology collection. From there, the option to submit the full length spawned, and out came To Catch A Marlin, which was recently released in October 2012.

And where am I in my journey? Still writing, still creating more worlds, and far from the halfway point to my destination. Now that I’ve uncapped the literary genie that seems to have always been living inside me, I can’t seem to shake the itchy-fingers-over-the-keyboard syndrome.

--T.K. Toppin
November 2012

2 comments:

  1. I believe all the good writers will admit that luck was a big part of their path, T. K.

    It certainly was for me!

    Thank you for sharing.

    :) Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi. And thanks again for having me. :)

      Delete