Friday, November 09, 2012

SFFS: Snippet #2 from Atomic Zion

Atomic Zion

DESCRIPTION:
This is the continuation of my SF Thriller, Atomic Zion, which is in its final revisions. It was influenced by my time as the Educational Marketing Director at Frank Lloyd Wright's House on Kentuck Knob and by reading stories from Michael Crichton, Robert Ludlum, James Rollins, and Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

Back Cover Blurb...

On the night of his 90th birthday, a former Wright Apprentice is thrown from the fifth floor of the Guggenheim Museum in New York. The only clue to clear his grandson of the murder is a note written in Navajo code which warns "The Bear has awakened."

These four words throw Nick Vanko into the middle of a decades old international cover-up where Wright Apprentices encoded WWII-era secrets about genetic experimentation into their blueprints. In order to stop a being who isn't quite human from unleashing a biological weapon upon the U.S., Nick must find Broadacre City, the fabled utopia designed by Wright, but supposedly never built. Searching by his side are an old Navajo CodeTalker, a woman who sees emotions as colors, and a Mossad agent who is really working for the Russian mafia. But can Vanko trust any of them?

--

SNIPPET #1

--

SNIPPET #2:

The other men continued to exchange jokes, ranging from the indecent to the ridiculous, but always ending in the macabre. Death, blood, and bones filled their thoughts.

Skovajsa wondered if they might find that unholy trinity today. Certainly the woods around them oozed a sickly smell of organic rot.

Gregor Borikov cackled behind him and had another go at the Krauts. Skovajsa focused on a limestone outcrop one kilometer ahead. Even though his Russian was improving, he didn't get the joke. He didn't care because he hated that butcher, Borikov.

Three months more to end this Hell.

Skovajsa pictured himself sitting at a drafting table, a slide rule replacing his rifle, slippers instead of ankle-chewing combat boots.

--

Find other wonderful snippets at Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday!

26 comments:

  1. I really like this snippet, especially your choice of words in transitioning paragraphs. "Death, blood, bones" transitions to "unholy trinity." "Organic rot" transitions to "Krauts", which reminds me of "saurkraut" (sour/rotten cabbage). And great juxtaposed image at the end, where he's working at a desk in comfy shoes. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lover that you got the unholy trinity allusion, Ceres! I worked on that transition for longer than I should have. Ha!

      Delete
  2. I love how your protag is an 'observer' and sees everything around him, even inside himself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, T.K.!

      Skovajsa is a different type of character for me, so was a challenge to write. Keeps things interesting. ;)

      Delete
  3. Definitely draws me into wanting to know more about the characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, don't get too attached to Skovajsa, T.M. ;)

      Delete
  4. Very evocative sequence. I particularly like the phrase "ankle-chewing boots" - I know just what he is feeling from that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Peter! I've had my share of chewed ankles. ;) Thanks!

      Delete
  5. The emotion behind this scene? The details you used to paint it? All so visceral. We're right there with him with the butcher cackling in our ears and tired ankles weary of torture. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great snippet, Heidi! So much bleak emotion, but also a glimpse of hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those contrasts, Ann. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. This is definitely a story I could read more of. The imagery is vivid and has a very gritty feel to it. Very convoluted but interesting premise for a story indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeffrey. I always spend my final run-through working on details and imagery. And, let's hope the story doesn't come off as convoluted! I'm counting on my crit partners to warn me that, if so. :)

      Delete
  8. Very vivid. My ankles are chafed. Wonderful snippet as always and a fascinating premise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great snippet. I have a feeling Skovajsa may have to wait quite a while to get into those slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though they're out in the countryside, this feels really claustrophobic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this feels claustrophobic, Misa, wait until you see what comes next!

      Delete